What you need to know before filing tax returns if you married in 2014

Even if you were married on December 31 last year, the Internal Revenue Service considers you a married couple for the entire year.  This may benefit many newlyweds who are now able to take advantage of tax credits only available for married couples.  One thing to remember, if you changed your name make sure to notify the Social Security Administration to avoid any problems when you file your tax return this year.  If you have always done your own taxes, you may want to seek professional help this year to make sure you cover everything since this is your first joint tax return.

For more tax tips read, “Tax Tips for Newlyweds.”